God, I have been enjoying the bible reading plan You have been walking me through. I’m sorry to be so late getting them on, but with Your help we’ll get them on little by little.
No rush. Just convalescing with You, and following Your lead in sharing with others.
YouVersion (a bible app You have blessed me with)
is doing a plan called 40 Days of Lent.
Day 31 of 47 for Lent Plan – “Parable: Two Men Who Prayed”
Reading: Luke 18:9-14 KJV
- Some of the listeners were confident in what?
– Themselves, and in their own righteousness.
- Whose heart condition was God pleased with – the Pharisee or the tax collector?
– God was pleased with the tax collector who was so humbled that he could only keep crying to God for forgiveness. His heart was fixed on God, not bragging about himself.
- What happens to those who exalt themselves and those who humble themselves?
– Pride goeth before a fall, according to God’s word. He says He is angered by the proud, but He draws nigh to those with a broken and contrite spirit. He sent His Son forth to save us, but through humility, not pride.
- Worship: Write down one attribute of God and worship Him for who He is.
– Humble. Lord, thank You for showing us such humility in how You ordered the coming of Jesus at the time of His birth, how He lived His life, how He conducted His ministry (and His own behavior despite being the Son of God, and because He IS the Son of God), how His death occurred, and even once He was resurrected. You are a proud Father and lead by example.
- Prayer: Pray for your extended family members.
- Remembrance: Think of a time when you were overwhelmed by your humanity. Write about that.
– At the altar when I was so sorry that Jesus would be losing someone He died for because I knew I was so sinful. I cried to You that I knew I didn’t deserve heaven and understood, but that it seemed so unfair to Jesus after what He went through and did, and that it didn’t seem right to have someone who is burning in hell that’s burning for desire of You. You surprised me when I instantly heard a voice say to me, “Honey, he’ll never have you.” (He being Satan.) I looked up and saw Mrs. Passetti, Mrs. Cagle, and several of the ladies from church with their hands on me while they were praying. I didn’t even really know them other than they were Anthoni’s teachers when he was little. I didn’t know they were beside me either.
- Self-Examination: Do you find yourself relying on your own works and good deeds or upon the grace and mercy of God?
– I pray I am always relying on You, God, but I confess that in my efforts to obey, to sacrifice out of honor and pleasure for You that sometimes I am too focused on my behavior and my works. Thank You for Your mercy.
A Kind Act
- Tell someone close to you what you appreciate about them.
– Anthoni was up this early, so I sent him a message. 🙂