God, I have been enjoying the bible reading plan You have been walking me through. I’m sorry to be so late getting them on, but with Your help we’ll get them on little by little.
No rush. Just convalescing with You, and following Your lead in sharing with others.
YouVersion (a bible app You have blessed me with)
is doing a plan called 40 Days of Lent.
Day 34 of 47 for Lent Plan – “Teaching: Love Your Enemies”
Reading: Matthew 5:43-48, Luke 6:27-36 KJV
- According to Matthew 5:44, what is the upside down gospel that Jesus preached?
– having to love your enemies, and doing good to those who hate you, blessing those who curse you, and pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you. This all seems upside down or opposite of what we would normally do or say.
- Is there a reward for loving those that love you back? Why do you think Jesus said that?
– Not in the way we think. While we seem to receive love back, and feeling good is a reward, there is nothing more powerful than to be loved and treated so kindly by someone we neglect, mock, or even insult. It’s what makes us love Jesus. He loved us when we were still vile sinners.
- Worship: Write down one attribute of God and worship Him for who He is.
– love-coach. That You, Jesus, for teaching us about true love… about its power… and for giving us the most beautiful relationship ever in You! Thank You for loving us when we were Your enemy.
- Prayer: Pray for your church leaders and your neighbors.
– Dykes (BSC), Ralph Jr. (TvBC), Andrew (FCN-A), Creed (TpBC)
– Patty’s mom died (funeral tonight), Alan, family Robinsons, Rooster woman and family, Wendy and husband, trailer below, Coles, everyone.
- Remembrance: Think of a time in your life when you showed love toward and “enemy.” Write about that.
– Lord, You bring to my mind Scott’s mom.She use to hate me so much and I never could figure out why. I even wondered if it was because Anthoni was mixed, but she loved him. I thought maybe it was from mixed dating, but she loved Homey. I finally asked Scott why. He said because I was a single mom living with my mom. She had assumed that I was living off my mom, but did not know my mom begged me to move in with her so she could have a much needed hysterectomy, then kept begging me to stay.
At one point, Scott’s mom had a loved one die. You, Lord, urged me to go tell her I was praying for her. I really didn’t want to, but I did. With no expectation. Nothing changed. You did allow mercy in Scott sending me word that she thought I was a good writer, loved my poetry, and thought I should pursue writing. He said she had found one of my books he had. I used to wonder if she really said it. I just took you at your word.
- Self-Examination: Is it hard for you to love those who are hard to love? Why or why not?
Lord, this comes at a time that Sandra and I have been fighting. She is in the basement now. How we must make You sad, maybe even mad. I don’t know why we fight so bad, We didn’t growing up. Everyone use to be amazed that we didn’t, and try to start stuff. We only fought a handful of times, and NOTHING like we do now. There are days I feel like she thinks of me as an enemy and therefore becomes my enemy. It’s hard to show love to someone who doesn’t want a hint of it. Hate is their fuel. I know she’s not that down deep, but I’m not so sure she knows that.
A Kind Act
- Find an inspirational quote for a friend who is struggling and send it to them.
= I answered message and sent encouragement on WordPress and Facebook.